Organizational Assessment & Improvement
We always start with a exploratory conversation at no charge to you. We’ll discuss your goals, the problems you see, any issues you’ve identified, and how best we can help you.
Every organization is unique, and our assessment is customized to address your specific goals and concerns. The scope may be company-wide or focus on a department, project, or initiative. A typical assessment spans four or five days (longer for large companies), and combines discovery with active coaching.
We talk extensively with everyone involved in the software-development process and observe your teams at work, providing advice and lightweight coaching when appropriate.
We develop an Action Plan that addresses your objectives. That plan usually includes active coaching to ensure that you have the support and guidance you need to meet your goals, and may also include formal training and one-on-one work with the teams.
My role is that of an advisor, providing an outsiders's perspective and considerable experience. I will identify areas of improvement that you can't see, and will help you identify concrete actions that will unleash your organization's potential.
Step 1: Discovery
Areas of focus
- Organizational culture and structure
- We'll assess everything from team and department structure and support to overall culture.
- We look at the processes you use to build and deploy your software, leveraging our deep understanding of both Lean and various Agile processes and frameworks to find improvements.
- We'll assess the architecture of your software system. An inappropriate architecture can slow you down so much that agility becomes difficult.
- We'll look at the code itself, the tests you have, etc., with an eye towards where to make improvements to speed development and improve quality.
- Development and deployment environments
- We'll evaluate the physical environment, as well as the tools you use for day-to-day work (for programming, deployment, and Agile-process monitoring and management).
Step 2: Consolidation
- Build a shared understanding of how current structures, practices, and policies impact organizational effectiveness.
- Identify high-value opportunities for improvement, focusing on high-impact changes we can do immediately.
- Working together, we'll develop a concrete, but adaptive, plan for moving forward.
Step 3: Moving to Awesome
- Executive Consulting and Coaching
- Advice in desiging policies and structures that deliver value to your customers and employees. We focus on providing an environment within which the teams can be optimally effective in identifying and delivering valuable high-quality software to your customers in minimum time. We can help with everything from agile-friendly product strategy, to company culture, to organizational structure.
- Management and Product Coaching
- Agile teams are often self managing, and if there is a designated manager, that person acts as a servant-leader. We work with both mangagers and teams to make them effective in controlling the work while easily adapting to change. We focus on value-based planning and incremental development. On the product side, we help you develop product strategies focused on user value, and suitable for incremental development and rapid regular release cycles.
- Team Coaching
- We work to make the teams effective, focusing on technical agile process and architecture. We help improve code quailty while simultaneously improving delivery time, working at the process, architecture, and code levels. For example, we can help you migrate towards agile-friendly evolutionary architectures like microservices, improve your code through practices like TDD and refactoring, help with team dynamics by introducing practices like mob programming and #NoEstimates, and help develop optimal workflows that take a user story from inception to deployment.
- We can provide formal training in a full-range of agile topics, using either lecture or workshop formats. We also provide immersive learning workshops that combine education with work on your actual product. Our classes are highly rated and practically focused, often presented as hands-on workshops. We can present both on-site and remote.